Dear reader

vacation = time to read

Dear reader,

Which of the following books would you like to see at the top of my vacation reading list?

Love in the Time of Cholera, Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Rise and Shine, Anna Quindlen

The Solace of Leaving Early, Haven Kimmel

Middlemarch, George Eliot

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Stieg Larsson

Or something else entirely?

Thanks for helping me make this decision.

The book with the most votes wins!

Gratefully,

Rachel

11 Responses to Dear reader

1. Anne-Marie Wagener July 27, 2010 at 8:14 am #

Well I love “Love in the Time of Cholera”.

Didn’t care for “Middlemarch” so much.

Didn’t care for “The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo” so much but I think that was more the problem I had with the genre; I don’t really like the dark, grisly, Scandanavian novels of today and I haven’t read the other two, but probably will once I read others’ responses.

A couple of my all-time favorites are “The Alchemist” by Paulo Coelho and “Shadow of the Wind” by Carlos Ruiz Zafron. I also love “Suite Francaise” and “Tete-a-Tete”.

AMW

2. Jan Dougherty July 27, 2010 at 8:25 am #

My favorite recent book is The Help. Of your list I would pick Rise and Shine – Anna Q is an al ltime favorite of mine. ENJOY!
    Jan I found Middlemarch too too long… but loved the dvd.

3. Carol July 27, 2010 at 8:35 am #

“The Rest of God” by Mark Buchanan. Perfect for a vacation rest. Haleys gave me this book and I love it except for my bone with the title (Rest as in resting not rest as in leftovers.)

“Ordering Your Private World” by Gordon MacDonald. Fabulously rich and well-written, full of great quotes.

And for something mindless and humorous, any of the No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency books by Alexander McCall Smith

You deserve a great vacation!

4. Colleen Shealer Olson July 27, 2010 at 8:44 am #

I read Love in the Time of Cholera every summer. I’m bringing The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo on our trip tomorrow, so I can’t recommend it yet.

5. Amanda July 27, 2010 at 1:07 pm #

Love in the Time of Cholera, for sure! I would also back up Anne-Marie’s suggestion of Suite Francais. It’s a great book.

Have a great vacation!

6. Andrea Dvorak July 27, 2010 at 2:19 pm #

Out of your list, Love in the Time, for sure!

But I agree with Jan, I recently read “The Help” on my vacation and couldn’t put it down. Stunning, shocking, important – but not heavy: just what you want in a vacation read. Add it to your list!!

• Rachel Greenhouse July 27, 2010 at 3:04 pm #

Hi everyone: I just finished reading The Help. In fact, I wrote a blog post inspired by it last Friday (“The Point”). I agree, it is a great book.

7. lizzie July 27, 2010 at 4:45 pm #

I agree with Anne- Marie , I love the Alchmist and Paulo Coelho and I could not get past page 20 of the Girl with the Dragon Tatoo. I love Anna Quindlen, but her lastest “every last one” is too depressing for vacation. I just got “Little Bee” , forgot the author, for our vacation, it’s supposed to be very good.
    And I love “The Patron Saint of Liars ” by Ann Patchett and also her book “truth and beauty”.
    My new, old favorite place to go for books : Wild Rumpus, because now beside getting just kid books there, in the front, is an adult section and I always trust their staff’s selection to be spot on.

Happy Reading!

8. doris July 27, 2010 at 6:12 pm #

love in the time of cholera-hands down
    I’ve also been reading “What is the What”
    D

9. Christa July 28, 2010 at 10:09 am #

I agree with Anne-Marie and Lizzie – if you haven’t read The Alchemist, that would be perfect.

Lots of good ideas here for all of us!

Have a great trip….

10. Dave July 28, 2010 at 4:55 pm #

Love in a Time of Cholera gets my vote.

I’ve only seen the movie version of “Girl with a Dragon Tattoo” and it had some deeply disturbing scenes. I can only image the book is more detailed. Not nice mental images for lying out in the sun! : )