And it is enough

milky way

The Milky Way

During my journey through life I have moved in and out of agnosticism and even atheism, as I become bewildered by what mankind has done to God; and so, too often, I see God in man’s image, rather than the other way around.

But I cannot live for long in this dead-end world, but return to the more open places of my child’s intuitive love of God, where I know that all creatures are the concern of the God who created the galaxies, and who nevertheless notes the fall of each sparrow.

And from the darkness I cry out: God!

And it is enough.

– Madeleine L’Engle, The Irrational Season

8 Responses to And it is enough

1. Michelle September 20, 2010 at 7:16 am #

brilliant.

2. claudia kaul September 20, 2010 at 8:15 am #

Amen! I absolutely love this piece of prose today. Thanks Rachel.

3. Anne-Marie Wagener September 20, 2010 at 9:49 am #

Thanks Rachel. I’ve been thinking and reading a lot recently about mysticism and the bicameral mind. It’s wonderfully stimulating and rewarding. I’m spiritual, not religious, of this I’m sure. Love, amw x

4. Margaret McBride September 20, 2010 at 12:49 pm #

Beautifully said!

5. Amy Haley September 24, 2010 at 6:49 am #

I am so glad that there exists something (someone) beyond this “dead end world”. Oh, how my life makes so much sense when I look at the world from God’s point of view instead of looking at God from man’s point of view.

6. The Mom September 27, 2010 at 2:50 pm #

Madeleine L’engle is one of those authors who speaks right to me and at all stages in life –whether when I was ten, twenty or almost 40. I am in awe of how simple she can make complex things seem, dare I say comfortable?

The quote is perfectly set with the Milky Way night…

Thank you!

• Rachel Greenhouse September 27, 2010 at 3:05 pm #

I discovered this in an Omaha bookstore in a daily readings book called Glimpses of Grace. Do you have that little treasure? It is all works of L’Engle’s – fiction and non-fiction. You’re welcome, of course!

• The Mom September 27, 2010 at 4:50 pm #

Thanks! Just put it on hold at the library… and if the book is what I imagine, I’ll get myself a copy for my shelf soon after 😉

And Thanks again!