A magical night

lasting businessI gave a 20 minute speech this evening to my beloved Magic Wand Collective sisters. I’ve never delivered a speech like that before, unless my high school Valedictorian address counts. I don’t think it was as long, nor nearly as heartfelt.

I didn’t have it memorized, so I had to read (with my “now that I’m over 40” reading glasses.) But I read with emotion. Perhaps one day I’ll deliver a memorized speech. Never say never, as Justin Bieber would say. (And I concur.)

To read the speech I delivered, click the image above (red table and chairs.)

Gratitude Slide Show

Click the linked image directly above (Anne Morrow Lindbergh’s quote) to see the slideshow I created to run throughout our leisurely dinner.

Please do not copy or distribute either of these documents. They are for your personal use only. This is my intellectual property, so I get to decide such things…or so I’m told.
( :

P.S. All you proofreader/editor/writer types…remember that this was written to be read, not for publication. I’d have to do some more work if it was going to be put into print for general consumption.

, , ,

13 Responses to A magical night

1. anna November 18, 2011 at 6:39 am #

It was a beautiful speech Rachel. Full of heart and honesty, wisdom and celebration. Brava!

2. Susie Greupner November 18, 2011 at 6:55 am #

Rachel, I wasn’t there but I read the transcript and it was fabulous! Thank you for what you do….peace & joy, Susie Greupner

3. lettergirl November 18, 2011 at 6:55 am #

A magical night that would never have happened…without YOU.

4. Jen Vickerman November 18, 2011 at 7:41 am #

An amazing evening, and an evening more stunning speech. Thank you for sharing so intimately of yourself with the entire group. You are a true blessing from God, and I am so thankful to have you in my life as a colleague and friend!!

5. Deirdre November 18, 2011 at 7:41 am #

So nice to have been able to share this special event along with you! Thank you for that gift.

6. Amy Haley November 18, 2011 at 8:38 am #

Wow. It was so great to read about how you got to the place of your “sweet spot.” What a gift for your children to have this recorded somewhere. I am SO proud of you! What a gifted and giving person you are. The speech was such a treat to read (and I’m already thinking that I need another coffee table book after seeing your artwork). xo

7. Nikol Gianopoulos November 18, 2011 at 9:14 am #

I loved your speech last night, and when you got close to tears (and I know you did), I got close to tears. It was a very special night and I am so incredibly grateful that you walked in my store that day and asked me to join Magic Wand. It’s been an amazing journey!

8. thatpoegirl November 18, 2011 at 9:37 am #

Such a good speech. You gave us not only inspiration to be more grateful, but also great ideas to enact gratitude in our lives as a conscious effort. Thank you!

9. Jane Greenhouse November 18, 2011 at 10:34 am #

A great talk Rachel, from the heart and very inspiring. I wish I had been there. You are indeed making a difference in many peoples lives, I am so proud that you are my daughter-in-law 🙂

10. Shelley Johnson November 19, 2011 at 10:36 am #

My gratitude for your message of gratitude! It’s great to have the text to read. Thank you. Thank you.

11. deborah November 20, 2011 at 7:28 pm #

Rachel — i found your blog through the resilience training website, and i love the combination of art and quotes that you create. i am a pastor in a medium sized church, and i am wondering if you ever considered allowing churches to use your work. we use a projection system in worship, and so often your quotes and images reinforce a point i am making in a sermon. if you are open to the idea, you could set a fee for your work, or a donation, and perhaps allow a one time usage. just an idea from a big fan of your work. –drh

• Rachel Greenhouse November 20, 2011 at 8:06 pm #

Deborah: Thank you for the huge vote of confidence! I certainly would be very open to this; I would have to check though into my license for usage of the images I use. They are purchased from istockphoto and I know that there are limitations.
      I will look into it and let you know.
      Rachel

12. Kristine November 21, 2011 at 12:01 pm #

I was really moved by your speech. All you were asked to do was do a review of the year and tie it to our gratitude theme. Where you took that was just amazing. I also was so impressed by your courage as I know this is outside of your comfort zone. It was a powerful step for you to vocalize your story the way you did – and we all felt it. I’m grateful to have been able to hear it firsthand.